Sample Puppy Contract
by Janet Joers
This sample contract can be copied and modified for your needs.
- The Buyer shall provide the dog with adequate food, fresh
water at all times, shelter, affection, love, and medical care,
including all necessary shots and medication recommended by the
- The Buyer shall provide the dog with veterinary care upon
sickness, disease, or injury, and shall take it to a veterinarian
at least once a year for an annual health examination and routine
- The Buyer shall provide the dog with humane care and maintain
it in accordance with all current and future state, county, and
municipal laws and ordinances where the Buyer resides.
- The Buyer shall provide the dog with a fully fenced yard
or other humane means of exercise. The dog shall not be kept
constantly chained or constantly outdoors.
- The Buyer shall keep the dog as a household pet and shall
never use it for breeding without the Breeder's consent or as
an attack dog or guard dog.
- The Buyer shall provide a collar and identification tag for
the dog to wear at all times when allowed to go outdoors.
- The dog shall reside at the Buyer's address.
- If the dog cannot be kept by the Buyer, the Buyer shall notify
the Breeder immediately. The dog shall not be sold, transferred,
or given to any individual or to any retail or wholesale establishment
for the purpose of sale or resale to the public, nor to any research
institution where medical experimentation or other practices
- The Buyer agrees to take the puppy to a veterinarian within
three (3) days of the date of purchase for a physical examination
to determine the health of the pup.
- The Buyer agrees to have the puppy's ears set a minimum of
three times by an experienced ear setter of the Breeder's choosing.
- For pet-quality pups, the Buyer agrees to have the bitch
spayed before her first season at six (6) months old, or to have
the dog neutered no later than nine (9) months from the date
of this Contract.
- For show prospects, the Buyer agrees to have the pup re-evaluated
by a Kerry expert of the Breeder's choosing within one year of
the date of this Contract. Should the pup be deemed suitable
for showing, arrangements for showing acceptable to the Breeder
must be made. Should the pup be deemed unsuitable for showing,
or the Buyer refuses to make show arrangements, the Buyer agrees
to have the pup spayed or neutered within six (6) months of such
- The Buyer shall pay a purchase price of ______, as well as
all shipping charges and related expenses with regard to the
delivery of the puppy to the Buyer.
- The Buyer agrees that it is the Buyer's responsibility to
accept the puppy as described. The Breeder has provided and the
Buyer has acknowledged a full disclosure of the health, habits,
and temperament of the puppy below.
- The Buyer agrees that the Breeder is in no way liable or
responsible for any damage, accident, or injury resulting from
- The Buyer shall have three (3) months from the date of this
Contract to return the dog for a full refund of the purchase
price, minus any expenses involved in the sale. After three (3)
months and for the life of the dog, the Buyer may return the
dog to the Breeder at any time and for any reason. The Buyer
agrees to sign the necessary AKC papers to list the Breeder as
sole owner of the dog.
- The dog shall be registered in the Buyer's and Breeder's
names. Upon spaying/neutering, the Breeder agrees to release
ownership and file the necessary papers with the AKC at the Breeder's
expense to name the Buyer as sole owner.
- The Buyer and Breeder agree to keep each other informed of
their current addresses.
- The Buyer agrees to pay the Breeder any and all expenses,
including court costs and reasonable attorney fees, in enforcing
the terms and provisions of the Contract.
- Should the Buyer be unable or unwilling to fulfill any of
the above provisions, the Buyer agrees to return the dog to the
Breeder at the Breeder's request. Should the Buyer refuse to
return the dog, the Buyer hereby authorizes the Breeder to pick
up and remove the dog from the Buyer's control.
The UNDERSIGNED Buyer hereby acknowledges having read the terms
of the Contract and does hereby agree to abide by each of the
provisions set forth above.
Signature(s) of Buyer(s):
Printed Name and Address of Buyer(s):
Buyer's Telephone Number:
Signature(s) of Breeder(s):
INFORMATION ON THE PUPPY
(To be completed by the Breeder)
AKC Litter Registration number:
To Be Spayed/Neutered: Yes? No?
Description of health:
Description of Temperament: