The formula may have had nothing to do with it, but my litter of 7 puppies all became "chow hounds" who are always hungry and will eat anything--to this day! And, of course, they were crazy for this formula.
Here's the formula as it was given to me by Catherine Wright who founded the Calkerry line of Kerry Blue Terriers back in the 40s. And by the way, I've compared it to many other puppy formulas, and it stacks up well nutritionally. It is also the only one I have found with honey.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 12-ounce (3.5 dl) can evaporated milk (NOT condensed milk!)
- 1/5 can (2.5 ounces or .75 dl) warm water
- 2 tablespoons (3 cl) of honey
- 1 tablespoon (1.5 cl) corn oil*
- 2 drops of Nutri-Pet liquid vitamins (or similar brand) for newborn puppies
*omit if stool is white (which indicates the onset of diarrhea)